This was a great way to use up leftover ham and simple to make. I used chicken broth in place of beef broth and still enjoyed very much. Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2009 and Beverly Peacock of Santa Teresa, New Mexico.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 16 fat-free refried beans
- 31 ounces great northern beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/3 cups lean ham, fully cooked and cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1In a large saucepan, saute onion, carrot, and garlic in oil until tender.
- 2Stir in broth and refried beans and whisk until smooth.
- 3Stir in the beans, ham, parsley, cumin, chili powder, and pepper.
- 4Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5Stir in the tomatoes and heat through.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for El Paso Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.4
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 9.3 mg
- Sodium 373.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 16.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium beef broth
fat-free refried beans