Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was a great way to use up leftover ham and simple to make. I used chicken broth in place of beef broth and still enjoyed very much. Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2009 and Beverly Peacock of Santa Teresa, New Mexico.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 16 fat-free refried beans
- 31 ounces great northern beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1⁄3 cups lean ham, fully cooked and cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, carrot, and garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in broth and refried beans and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the beans, ham, parsley, cumin, chili powder, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and heat through.