I was lucky enough to spend part of the summer in Costa Rica. This is the traditional dish that every Tico eats for breakfast, lunch, and probably dinner. I never got used to it for breakfast, but this is what I've come up with to imitate my travels there.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fry onion and bell pepper in the vegetable oil, about 3 minutes.
- 2Add the garlic and sauté a bit more.
- 3Pour in the beans and the stock, bring to a simmer.
- 4Avoid the mixture drying up.
- 5Add in the rice and stir thoroughly, gently.
- 6Don't mash the beans!
- 7Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Right before serving, stir in the coriander, and top with heavy cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for El Gallo Pinto (From Costa Rica- Beans and Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.3
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: