Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was lucky enough to spend part of the summer in Costa Rica. This is the traditional dish that every Tico eats for breakfast, lunch, and probably dinner. I never got used to it for breakfast, but this is what I've come up with to imitate my travels there.
- Fry onion and bell pepper in the vegetable oil, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté a bit more.
- Pour in the beans and the stock, bring to a simmer.
- Avoid the mixture drying up.
- Add in the rice and stir thoroughly, gently.
- Don't mash the beans!
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Right before serving, stir in the coriander, and top with heavy cream if desired.