Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Fabulous recipe from the El Coyote Cafe, the oldest Mexican food restaurant in Los Angeles. I'm posting it exactly as I got it, but we usually make a great big 13 x 9 pan of the enchiladas (just keep rolling them up until your pan is full) and double the ranchera sauce. It looks like way too much sauce, but it cooks down in the oven and the flavor is fantastico!
- 1 lb canned stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 green pepper, Chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (or you can get a bigger can and cut them in strips)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- Instructions for Sauce:.
- Quickly saute onion and garlic.
- Add the rest of ingredients and bring them to a rapid boil.
- Simmer for one hour.
- Instructions for Enchiladas:.
- In a heavy skillet, heat vegetable oil until very hot.
- Dip tortillas in oil to soften.
- Fill tortillas with approximately 1/8 cup grated cheese and 1 T chopped onion.
- Roll stuffed tortillas and place in baking dish.
- Cover enchiladas with sauce.
- Top each enchilada with 4 strips of Ortega Chili.
- Sprinkle 3 T. shredded cheese over each enchilada.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with dollop of sour cream and garnish with green onions.
Sauce has a rich full flavor. We enjoyed these for our dinner. Made for Best of 2012.
These were really good! Was a little concerned with the sauce being chunky and how DH would like it so before putting on the enchiladas I used a potato masher and broke up some of the tomatoes. Had a really good flavor and not spicy at all which I love! Made for 2012 Spring PAC.
These are additive. I put the sauce together in a crockpot in the morning so it was ready to go over the enchiladas for that evening's dinner. Tasty, tasty. Thanks for sharing.