2 hrs 45 mins
Dona England's Note:
This recipe is from Epicurious. The creator is Cid Prevost, Kansas City, Mo. Everyone I've served this to says it's the best chili they've had.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs sirloin steaks, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed, 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise 3 times
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- grated cheddar cheese (to garnish)
- sour cream (to garnish)
- 1Place oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
- 2Brown the sirloin in batches.
- 3Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- 4Add ground beef, chorizo, and onions to the pot to brown.
- 5Break up the ground beef.
- 6Return sirloin to the pot.
- 7Stire in remaining ingredients, except for garnishes.
- 8Bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat, simmer for 2 hours.
- 10Before serving discard cinnamon stick bay leaves and jalapenos.
- 11Serve garnished with grated cheese and sour cream.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for El Cid Chili
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.4
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 111.9 mg
- Sodium 978.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 34.9 g