Recipe by Member #610488
It wasn't all that long ago that bananas arriving in Alaska arrived all brown and yucky due to the long shipping and storage from Central America. This recipe was meant for bananas in that condition so let your banana get all brown and yucky before using. Eklutna is an Alaska Native community that used to be a hard drive from Anchorage back when the road was only a mud strip.
Top Review by L DJ
I let my bananas get all brown and yucky, then I froze them skin and all. (rather unpeeled) Can't get any closer to Alaskan weather then that:) Added some chopped walnuts. Most delicious. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 1⁄2 cups bananas, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup blueberries
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine bananas, brown sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl and mix until smooth.
- Combine flour, cream of tartar, spices, and salt in another bowl and mix throughly.
- Add flour mixture to banan mixture, stiring until moist. Add blueberries.
- Pour into a bread loaf pan coated with nonstick spray.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan then cool on wire rack.