Recipe by hudelei
This recipe is posted by request and regrettably vague in some places. If anyone has made Ike Stew and can add precisely what spices are used and that sort of thing, I'm sure it would be helpful.
Top Review by kiwidutch
Just for info: I wouldn't call thyme, bay leaves spices at all... they are herbs ;) It sounds like a classic Bouquet Garni ...and could include bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, or tarragon and margorim as prefered. I couldn't recommend strongly enough to leave out MSG... it's vile unhealthy stuff and you shouldn't need this chemical flavour enhancer if you have even half decent herbs:) I hope that this helps.
- 2 lbs stewing beef (prime round)
- 1 lb small irish potato
- 1 bunch baby carrots
- 1⁄4 lb small onion
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- assorted spices, in cheesecloth bag (thyme, bay leaves, garlic, etc.,)
- 2 1⁄2 pints beef stock
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Accent seasoning (MSG)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stew meat until tender, add vegetables and spices.
- Cook until vegetables are done, strain off one cup of stock from stew, thicken slightly with beef roux mixture.
- Pour back into stew and let simmer until ready to serve (about 1/2 hour.) Remove cloth bag of spices.