Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Just your good ole Midwestern (Ohio) macaroni salad. My Mom's (Eileen) recipe from the 1940's. This was a staple at all our picnics or cookouts. Mom used Miracle Whip, I use mayonnaise. Best made a day ahead of time so you can adjust for moisture. As usual with all our family recipes, the secret is to keep tasting and adjusting ingredients as needed!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 slices green peppers, chopped
- mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- celery seed
- sweet pickles, chopped or sweet relish
- Boil macaroni according to package directions for 10-12 minutes, or until tender. In strainer, drain macaroni and run cold water over macaroni to cool.
- When macaroni is cool, put in large bowl and add all chopped ingredients. Add mayonnaise gradually, enough to make it easy to stir. Add celery seed, salt and pepper to taste. If mixture seems "dry", add a little bit of sweet pickle juice from the jar.
- Refrigerate before serving; always check for moisture- you may have to add more pickle juice and mayonnaise. Salt, pepper, and celery seed can be added if needed. Best if made the night before serving, so you can adjust for taste and moisture.
- Like all good recipes, you get to taste, and taste again!
A simple, yet delicious macaroni salad. I quartered the recipe used relish and mayo. Thanks! Made for Spring PAC event, 2013.