Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe from a lady in Clear Lake California, whose church I attended. She would fix this recipe for potlucks to feed a lot of people. So if the recipe is too big, cut it in half.
- 2 -3 heads iceberg lettuce, rinsed and broken into small pieces
- 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen green peas
- 7 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 3 lbs bacon, fried crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 bunches scallions, chopped fine
- 2 (32 ounce) jars mayonnaise
- 2 (1 ounce) packets dry ranch dressing mix
- 5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- Set aside frozen peas. Keep frozen.
- Cut bacon into small strips and fry golden crisp, drain on paper towel.
- Break up rinsed lettuce into smaller bite size pieces. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Chop green onions fairly fine.Set aside.
- Shred five cups of cheese. Set aside.
- Boil eggs, peel and chop fine. Set aside.
- Take each jar of mayonnaise and mix one packet of Ranch Dressing mix into each and stir until well mixed inches.
- LAYERING OF SALAD IS AS FOLLOWS.
- In a deep, long glass casserole baking dish layer the ingredients: Spread broken lettuce over bottom of dish, then scallions, then peas, then bacon, then eggs. Spread these ingredients evenly to form each layer. Note: don't use cheese yet, that's for a later step.
- Top with mayonnaise mixture which seals the top of the salad.
- Sprinkle evenly the cheddar cheese over the top of mayonnaise layer.
- Refrigerate several hours before serving as the frozen peas crisp the lettuce and the eggs blend nicely into the mayonnaise dressing layer.
Excellent- thank you so much for this recipe - brought it to a cookout tonight and it was a big hit - could have ate it all myself - Thanks again!
This is basicly how I make my layerd salad but here are the differences which I think make the salad better. After layering the lettuce and green onion layer the still frozen peas, then bacon, then eggs. Indtead of adding sugar to the mayonaise I use a package of dry ranch dressing mis in the mayonaise.(this is how the recipe came to me)Leave in the refrigerator for several hours befor serving.the frozen peas will thaw and make the lettuce layer so chrispy it snaps and the eggs kind of emlt in with the dressing. So good.
I cut way back on this recipe and still had PLENTY so I invited the neighbors over. We all loved this great tasting salad. This is going to be a perfect salad when we travel and have our famous potlucks. Thanks for sharing this, Tiomarrano.