3 hrs 15 mins
The vegetables come out so sweet and the meat is tasty and tender. This is the only way I will eat cabbage. I make this every St. Patrick's day. A sure winner. I use a teaball to keep the spices together but you can put them in cheesecloth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 8 -10 medium carrots, cut into 3 - 4 pieces
- 1 lb tiny new potatoes, whole or 6 medium yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into 6 wedges (1 lb)
- 1Trim fat from meat. Place the 5 spices in a teaball or cheesecloth. Fill 6 qt pot with water. Put in meat and spiceball. Add onions and bay leaf. Bring to boiling. Skim fat from surface. Reduce heat to a simmer, with cover ajar, for 1 hour and a half.
- 2Add carrots to pot. Return to boiling another 45 minutes.
- 3Add potatoes to pot. Return to boiling for 25 minutes.
- 4Add cabbage to pot. Cover and cook about 20 minutes more until vegetables and meat are tender.
- 5Discard bay leaf and spices. Remove meat from pot. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eileen's Irish Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (590 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 710.6
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 222.1 mg
- Sodium 2660.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 45.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns