Recipe by Chef Gina Calina
This recipe is from Eileen Goudge's book, "Something Warm From the Oven". Use the Buttercream frosting recipe with it.
Top Review by Kim D.
This cake was really good. The cake turned out dense, similar to the texture of a banana bread. The flavor had just the right amount of banana flavoring. I used the buttercream frosting and it was delicious. Thanks Gina for another great recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bananas, very ripe, mashed to equal 1 cup
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour two 8-or 9-inch round cake pans, and line the bottoms with parchment.
- Cream the butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed. Gradually add the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating until pale & fluffy. Blend in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl,sift the flour with the baking powder,soda & salt.
- In a another small bowl, combine mashed bananas & buttermilk.
- To the creamed mixture add in the following order, beating on low speed after each addition just until blended: A third of the flour mixture,half the banana mixture,half the remaining flour mixture,the remaining banana mixture,then the remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into pans. Bake 25-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before inverting onto wire racks. Cool before frosting.