Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
My sister in laws mom is from Japan. This is a recipe that she has passed on to us. We really love it!!
- Mix sherry, water, brown sugar and soy sauce.
- Heat oil in dutch oven, fry chicken until brown.
- Sprinkle ginger and garlic on top of chicken.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook slowly for 1 hour or until done.
- *You could also cook it in the oven @ 325 for 1 hour.
- *If you like you can add Tofu or chopped cabbage when adding the ingredients to pot to simmer.
Always a winner!!! Shoyu chicken is a universal good choice for dinner. I only used 2 T oil to fry the chicken. I substituted 1/4 C of wine for half of the water. Made for Spring PAC 2012.
Suddenly finding myself with four very hungry young adults, I needed something simple, satisfying, flop-proof and relatively quick.. which this is, even tho it cooks for a while, it looks after itself so that you can prepare everything else, like the rice! :) I cooked this on top of the stove, and I did add some veggies.. like my veggies. I added a sliced red onion and a carrot cut into batons, with the chicken, and about halfway through the cooking time I added one red and one green, pepper, both sliced. Everyone loved this, I'm glad to say I easily fed the youngsters and my DH, I served it on steamed white rice. A great recipe, made for PAC Fall, 2009
YUM! YUM! YUM! I used chicken breast and cut it into bite sizes before proceeding. I accidentally placed more ginger powder here but whew.. it still came out great! I just added a wee bit of water to balance my mistake. Love the sauce, and thank goodness it's not that salty as there was brown sugar added making it a bit sweet. Served this with white rice on a bowl, chopsticks like toppings. Keeper~ Thanks for sharing, hope2day. :) Made for the Unrated Asian tag game 2009.