Recipe by That is Dr House to you
Chinese. What else? Modified from www.chinesefooddiy.com. Servings depend on use. Note I am basing the 4 servings on 3 ounces tofu per person.
- 9 -12 ounces spicy bean curd
- 4 dried mushrooms
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons carrots, diced
- 2 5⁄8 ounces wheat gluten or 2 5⁄8 ounces seitan, diced
- 1 2⁄3 ounces water chestnuts, fresh
- 2 5⁄8 ounces string beans, fresh diced
- 1 red chile
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, to taste
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 shallot
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons hot bean paste
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom liquid, scant
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the dried mushrooms to soften. Save the strained soaking liquid for the seasoning step.
- Press the bean curd aka tofu. To do this. Wrap in cheese cloth or paper towels. Place on slant board and put a large heavy plate on top.
- Make sure you wash and dice the following: string beans, carrot, water chestnuts and red chili.
- Dice the Gluten and the tofu.
- Peel the garlic and shallot and chop finely.
- Mix together the seasoning in a bowl. Use water if you do not choose to use the mushroom soaking liquid aka mushroom water. It should be a scant 1/4 cup. That means it should not be on the 1/4 line.
- Boil the peanuts in boiling water for about 2 minutes. Cool. Peel and set aside.
- Heat the wok, add enough oil for deep-frying. When oil is hot, Add the peanuts and deep-fry on high heat until they are golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Repeat with the gluten ball.
- Parboil the carrots and string beans for 1 minute. Drain.
- Wipe wok. Then heat adding fresh oil. When oil is hot add the garlic, shallot and hot bean paste. Then add all the other ingredients except for the peanuts. Stir-fry until they are cooked, then add the mirim and seasoning.
- Turn off the heat, mix in the peanuts, and serve.
- The original recipe called for 3 pieces of spicy tofu. The author did not define a piece. I took this to be a standard serving.