2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Recipe Junkie's Note:
This is a recipe from one of my mother's old cookbooks. I haven't tried it yet, but it's full of all kinds of neat ingredients and it looks yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups glutenous rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening or 1/4 cup lard, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Eight Treasure Garnish
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 6 red candied dates
- 8 -10 canned whole lotus seeds (optional)
- candied red cherries
- green glazed cherries
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 4 candied kumquats (optional)
- 2/3 cup sweet red bean paste
- 1Boil rice and water on med heat.
- 2Boil uncovered 10 minutes or until water evaporates and you see big holes.
- 3Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- 4Fluff rice then stir in melted shortening and sugar.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Generously grease 1 quart glass bowl.
- 7Arrange almonds, dates, lotus seeds, red and green cherries, raisins and kumquats attractively over bottom of bowl.
- 8Spread half the cooked rice over decoration.
- 9Press down lightly.
- 10Spread bean paste over rice for an even layer.
- 11Cover with remaining rice, spreading evenly.
- 12Cover bowl with small damp cloth.
- 14Place covered bowl in steamer or on rack in wok.
- 15Cover with a lid and steam over gently boiling water for one hour, replenishing water when necessary.
- 16Meanwhile, place syrup over medium heat, swirling pan occasionally.
- 17Continue to cook until syrup is reduced to 1/2 c, stirring constantly.
- 18Keep warm.
- 19Just before serving, add triple sec and mix well.
- 20Cover mold with serving platter and invert, gently shaking to unmold.
- 21Pour hot syrup over mold and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eight Treasure Shanghai Rice Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.4
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 16.2 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red bean paste