Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have a friend who will search out my cupboards for this peppercorn blend when I have her over for dinner. She was most pleased when I gave her a batch for Christmas. I have adapted this recipe from a couple of sources and came up with this
- 1 tablespoon szechuan peppercorns, roasted
- 1⁄4 cup black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- 1⁄2 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add the szechuan peppercorns and toast, stirring occastionally, about 2 - 4 minutes.
- Transfer the peppercorns to a measuring cup and cool.
- Combine rest of ingredients and grind the pepper mixture, working in small batches.
- Note My peppercorn shaker does not grind the black peppercorns down enough for my taste and I can end up with large chunks. Using a mini food processor, I will coarsely grind these first then add them to the rest of the ingredients and coarsely grind them again (keeping in mind, that your peppercorn grinder will make a finer grind).
This is a must-have in our kitchen. I have to watch my daughter as she has been known to raid my spice cabinet when her supply (which I make) has run out. Does wonderful things to roast beef and grilled steak, but can be used almost wherever you would use regular pepper. Thanks for posting, Abby Girl.