Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Eight Layer Shortbread Slices
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter or 1 1⁄4 cups margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg white
- Sift together flour and cornstarch onto a sheet of waxed paper. Set aside.
- Beat butter and confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl until blended.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture to make soft dough.
- Divide dough in half.
- Knead cocoa powder into 1/2 of dough in bowl.
- Flatten both doughs; wrap separately in plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Chill 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll each batch of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper into 10" square.
- Push sides in to make absolutely even, using ruler or long-bladed knife.
- If dough becomes too soft or sticky, refrigerate on cookie sheet.
- Remove top sheet of wax paper from nonchocolate dough; brush top with egg white.
- Remove paper from top of chocolate dough; invert onto nonchocolate dough, matching sides up exactly.
- Peel off remaining sheet of wax paper.
- Cut into 4 equal strips, each 10 x 2 1/3".
- Brush lightly with egg white.
- Stack dough strips neatly to make 8 alternating layers.
- Wrap stack in plastic wrap.
- Chill several hours or overnight.
- Dough can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut dough crosswise into slices slightly less than 1/4" thick.
- Place slices on cookie sheets 1" apart.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in tightly covered containers in cool, dry place.