2 hrs 15 mins
PSU Lioness's Note:
This is from the Favorite Brand Names Cookbook. I'm trying to get some of the recipes up here before I have to return the book to the library AGAIN. If anyone tries it, please let me know how you like it! This one sounds realllly savory and I can't wait to try it! Pineapples and cinnamon sticks? Yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 head Chinese cabbage or 2 lbs green cabbage, cut into quarters
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1Drain pineapple; reserve juice. Trim excess fat from beef.
- 2Heat large pot until hot. Add oil, swirling to coat the sides. Cook onion and garlic in hot oil, stirring, 1 minutes. Add beef; brown 2 minutes on each side.
- 3In medium bowl, combine reserved pineapple juice, 1.5 cups water, soy sauce, sherry, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and allspice; pour over beef.
- 4Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, turning meat occasionally, 1 1/4 hours. Add cabbage; cook 30 minutes longer, adding pineapple last 5 minutes.
- 5Remove meat, cabbage and pineapple from pot. Slice meat and arrange on a serving platter with cabbage and pineapple.
- 6Strain remaining broth. Pour 1 cup into saucepan. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water; add to broth. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Pour over beef to serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eight Flavors Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 577.1
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 190.7 mg
- Sodium 1473.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 20.5 g
- Protein 65.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: