. . . From One Easy Recipe This recipe came to me via my mil on a tattered, torn, and taped magazine page that once belonged to her mother. The original description says, "Cookies to please everybody! Eight different kinds - one easy recipe. And, oh, that delicious, real butter flavor when you make 'em the real butter way!" (NOTE: The prep time will vary by cookie and if the recipe calls for chilling the dough. The nutrition info is based on a yield of 6 dozen cookies - the yeild also varies by recipe followed).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2EASY, BASIC RECIPE.
- 3Cream butter.
- 4Add sugar gradually, cream until fluffy.
- 5Add unbeaten egg and vanilla. Beat well.
- 6Sift together dry ingredients and blend into creamed mixture.
- 7Divide dough in half and prepare cookies in variations you prefer:.
- 8BUTTER CRISPIES:.
- 9Chill dough. Roll half cookie dough on well-floured pastry cloth to 1/8 inch thick. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Bake about 6 minutes and cool on rack. Makes about 3 dozen.
- 11To half cookie dough add 1/3 cup ground walnuts. Chill. Roll dough into balls size of large marbles. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Roll at once in confectioner's sugar. Cool Roll again in sugar. Makes about 2.5 dozen.
- 12BUTTER FINGERS:.
- 13To half cookie dough add 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 1/4 cup chopped candied cherries. Chill. Shape into oblongs sizes of little finger. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle while hot with granulated sugar, and again when cool. Makes about 2 dozen.
- 15Chill half dough. Mold into balls size of walnuts. Roll in mixture of 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Makes about 1.5 dozen.
- 16BUTTER THINSIES:.
- 17Form half dough in roll 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in wax paper and chill until firm. Slice 1/8 inch thick. Sprinkle with finely chopped nuts or coconut. Bake 6 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen.
- 18CHOCOLATE MINT CREAMS:.
- 19To half recipe add 1 square unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled. Form dough in roll 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in wax paper and chill. Slice 1/8 inch thick. Bake 8 minutes. Cool. Put together with Mint Cream Filling: Cream 2 tbsps butter, 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar, 1 tbsp cream, mint flavoring. Makes about 1.5 dozen.
- 20JEWEL CLUSTERS:.
- 21Using half dough, drop by half teaspoons on cookie sheet. Press candied fruit into each. Bake 8 minutes. Makes about 2.5 dozen.
- 22MOLASSES SPICE-EEZ:.
- 23To half dough, add 2 tbsps molasses, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Chill at least 1/2 hour. Roll 1/8 inch thick on well-floured surface. Cut into patterns. Bake 6 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eight Flavor-Rich Butter Cookies . . .
Serving Size: 1 (783 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 49.4
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 9.3 mg
- Sodium 49.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 0.5 g