Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1⁄4 lb dried kidney beans
- 1⁄4 lb dried white bean
- 1⁄4 lb dried pink beans
- 1⁄4 lb dried black beans
- 1⁄4 lb dried red beans
- 1⁄4 lb dried pinto bean
- 1⁄4 lb cranberry beans
- 1⁄4 lb dried navy beans
- 1 lb bacon
- 5 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 2⁄3 cup minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup toasted coriander seed
- 1⁄4 cup ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 1⁄4 cup cayenne pepper (or to taste for the timid of tongue)
- 1⁄2 cup ground dried poblano pepper
- 108 ounces Italian plum tomatoes, with juice
- 12 ounces beer
- 5 lbs lean ground beef
- In a large pot, soak the beans together overnight in water to cover.
- Drain and add fresh water to cover.
- Cook at a simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are just tender.
- While the beans are simmering, heat a large skillet.
- Mince the bacon and cook it until it begins to crisp.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices and the ground poblanos and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice and the beer.
- Simmer for half an hour.
- In another pan, cook the beef until the pink color disappears.
- Drain and add it to tomatoe mixture.
- When the beans are fully cooked, drain them, reserving the liquid, and add the beans to the meat/tomato mixture.
- Salt to taste and let the mixture simmer for about 1 hour.
- If it is too dry, add some of the bean liquid.