Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe calls for round, eight-ball variety zucchini, but the traditional shape will work just as well. From Cooking Light (June 2005).
- 1 slice French bread, torn into small pieces (1 ounce)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs eight-ball zucchini (about 6 squash)
- 1⁄2 cup packed spinach leaves
- 8 basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered (about 5 ounces)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- flat leaf parsley, sprig (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup. Set aside.
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Set pulp aside.
- Steam zucchini shells, covered, 6 minutes or until tender. Drain, cut sides down, on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels.
- Place zucchini pulp in food processor; process until finely chopped. Spoon into a bowl.
- Place spinach, basil, garlic, and onion in food processor; process until finely chopped.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add spinach mixture; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini pulp, tomato, and salt; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in breadcrumbs.
- Fill each zucchini half with about 2 1/2 tablespoons zucchini mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish with parsley, if desired.