1/5 Photos of Eight Animals Bake a Cake - Pineapple Upside Down Cake
This recipe is from the children's book "Eight Animals Bake a Cake" by Susan Middleton Elya. We checked the book out from the library and were surprised to see a recipe at the end of the book. We made the cake the next day. A classic upside down cake. Delicious and beautiful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
TOPPING (to go in the bottom of the pan)
- 8 pineapple rings (canned or fresh)
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 8 -15 pecan halves (or 1/4 to 1/2 chopped pecans)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
BATTER (yellow cake mix can be used instead)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- 2In a 9" x 13" baking dish (I used a 9" round, I can't imagine the batter covering a 9x13 pan), arrange the eight pineapple rings on the bottom (I used 7).
- 3Put one cherry in the center of each ring.
- 4Place the pecans around the edges of the rings.
- 5Melt 1/4 cup butter in a small glass bowl for 30 seconds in the microwave. Stir in the brown sugar. Pour the mixture over the pineapple rings. Set dish aside.
- 6In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, milk, 1/3 cup butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat for three minutes with a mixer. Then pour the mixture over the pineapple in the baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Let the cake cool. Cut into pieces and flip them onto serving plates, or flip the entire cake over onto a serving platter and slice.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eight Animals Bake a Cake - Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.6
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 86.4 mg
- Sodium 415.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 55.8 g
- Protein 5.0 g