Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These eggcakes are a delicious Dutch breakfast cake, usually served spread with butter and sugar, or jam.
- 5 extra large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, corn syrup and vanilla.
- In a second bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture and mix thoroughly.
- (Mixture will be heavy and stiff).
- Using a gravy ladle, spoon mixture onto ungreased baking sheets, leaving room for melting around each dollup of dough.
- Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
REALLY good! light and fluffy, better than pancakes!
I didn't know what to expect never having them before on my many trips to Holland. I don't know if I did something wrong, but they were more like big sweet cookies! Not a bad thing. A little much for breakfast. My husband is Dutch and has never heard of these treats. Would like to see some more Dutch recipes posted.
Excellent recipe, they taste just like I remember them from Holland years ago. Quick and easy to make. My kids loved them!