Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Eating San Diego Blog: "Eibrot (pronounced eye-braht) is sort of like French Toast...but much, much better!"
- Cube bread into bite size pieces using a serrated knife.
- Dust cubed bread with cinnamon.
- Combine the eggs with the half & half, milk and vanilla.
- Whisk together and pour over the cubed Challah, tossing gently to coat each piece thoroughly, but not break it up into mush.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the Eibrot in the heated skillet (you'll be doing this in several batches) until golden brown all over, tossing gently with a spatula to evenly cook on all sides.
- Once browned, add 1-1/2 tbsp of butter and 1/4 cup of sugar, tossing to coat.
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is completely melted and evenly coating the Eibrot.
- Remove to a serving plate, and repeat with remaning Eibrot.
- Serve with fresh berries (blackberries are particularly delicious!) and a dollop of whipped cream, on the side (optional).