1/2 Photos of Egyptian Style Stuffed Cabbage Leaves (Mashy Crump)
3 hrs 45 mins
cooking in cairo...'s Note:
These are a bit time consuming to make, but believe once you make, you will be asked to make again and again. This is vegetarian, but you could add a bit of cooked ground beef to rice stuffing mixture, but awesome even without. Many mediterraen countries make these, but this recipe is authentic Egyptian preparation. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large green cabbage
- 2 cups short-grain white rice
- 1 onion, grated to almost liquid
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley (finely chopped, including some of the stems)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (finely chopped, including some of the stems)
- 1 bunch fresh dill weed (finely chopped, including some of the stems)
- 2 fresh tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tomato, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- canola oil
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon Arabic spices (see my recipe for Arabic Seven Spice in my recipes)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried mint
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1Rice stuffing mixture:.
- 2On top of stove, put a good amount oil or butter; add chopped onion and pureed onion sauté. Add garlic when onions almost finished not to burn.
- 3Add a spoon of tomato paste and stir around until all coated.
- 4Add pureed tomato, a few drops of water and cook until liquid is almost gone. It should be a little thick, not too watery. You can add some salt to taste to this too.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Put washed rice in mixing bowl. Add the above tomato mixture. Add raw, chopped greens- parsley, dill and cilantro. Its okay to chop some of their stems, gives the mixture more flavor. Add a little canola oil.
- 7Add all spices and dry mint. Take 1 chicken bouillon cube and crush it, add to rice.
- 8Mix all ingredients until well blended set aside. Try to taste, will be raw I know, but you can taste and not swallow rice. Adjust seasonings. Salt is most important, if too salty, don’t worry, once cooked it will lessen.
- 9Cooking Cabbage:.
- 10This is the trickiest part. I have not yet found the perfect way, but my way has been working alright…here it goes.
- 11Wash the head of cabbage well. With a paring knife, gently cut around core, loosening it a bit. Try to cup deep, but try not to cut leaves, or separate at this point.
- 12Using a large pot, fill with water, and a few dashes of cumin. Once boiling, add the head of cabbage, with core facing up.
- 13As the cabbage starts to cook, with a knife, gently pull away leaves from core and cook until a bit soft, but not translucent.
- 14So you will have the large head of cabbage in pot and you will be cutting leaves and letting them boil alone aside the head. (Hope this makes sense.).
- 15When the leaves are a bit soft, tender not translucent, remove to a large tray.
- 16Continue this until all cabbage is cooked.
- 17You will have the very small leaves towards inside core, you will be able to use some of these, but some maybe too small. I usually make a cabbage salad with these.
- 18Once the leaves are cool, you will begin to stuff.
- 19Rolling/stuffing the cabbage:.
- 20Prepare a large pot, put some oil in bottom of pot to coat.
- 21Slice 1 large tomato thinly and place on bottom of pot. You will arrange cabbage in this pot as you roll.
- 22Take a cabbage leaf and cut from the bottom, where core starts.
- 23Cut away the hard core and reserve the two sides from leaf making a pile.
- 24Save a few of the cores stems as well.
- 25Tricky but you are trying to get a pliable leaf for rolling.
- 26You want to make the leaf small, cutting a half of the leaf in half. The end result should be size of small cigar.
- 27Don't worry about how they look, they will not be real tight and they may seem like the rice will come out, just close as best you can, they will be fine.
- 28So with leaf laying flat, spoon a small amount of rice onto leaf, fold up bottom and roll like a cigar. Don't worry the ends will be open, but cook ok. Some rice may boil out but not much trust me.
- 29Roll all until leaves are finished.
- 30Once all rolled and arranged in pot, add a crushed chicken bouillon cube. As you are arranging in pot, you can put a few of the core stems in between layers to help stay in place.
- 31Take approximately 3 cups water and mix with tomato paste, pour over cabbage. Water should reach just above cabbage. If not enough, add more water.
- 32Take an old plate, invert it over cabbage to keep from moving too much.
- 33Put on high, bring to a boil, cook for about 10 minutes, then turn to a lower simmer and cover.
- 34Should cook for approximately an hour or so, you can check it periodically by tasting to see if rice is cooked inside.
- 35Once cooked let sit for a little to cool a bit before removing from pot.
- 36When ready to remove, take a large serving platter, put over top of pot, then flip pot to empty onto platter. Be careful and do over sink if you are unsure. Its easy but take s a little practice.
- 37Remove core stems, fix tomatoes that are on top, to look presentable.
- 38*** LEFTOVER TIP: THE NEXT DAY PREPARE THE LEFTOVERS THIS WAY -- PUT SOME BUTTER INTO A PAN, FRY THE STUFFED CABBAGE LEAVES UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN ON ALL SIDES. SUPER TASTY, ENJOY! ***.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egyptian Style Stuffed Cabbage Leaves (Mashy Crump)
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 1659.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh dill weed