cooking in cairo...'s Note:
These are really good and have a nice oniony flavor. At first I was not sure I liked the oniony taste, but have grown accustomed to it now. If you don't like onion, this dish is NOT for you, if you do, try it, super simple and you will love it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced steak (very thin, and not fatty)
- 1 large onion (pureed to liquid)
- salt & pepper
- oil (for frying)
- fine breadcrumbs (add a spoon of flour to these)
- 1Wash and pound your steaks to very thin and flat. (Here our butchers do it for us, maybe you could ask?).
- 2Put steaks into glass dish.
- 3Add the pureed onion, salt & pepper, cover and let sit all day or at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- 4Put breadcrumb/flour mixture into a deep dish, get a clean plate to breaded steaks on.
- 5Dip each steak in mixture coating well on both sides and reserve all to clean plate.
- 6When all breaded, heat oil to medium high heat and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- 7Serve along side pasta or your favorite rice dish.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egyptian Style Breaded Thin Steak (Buftek)
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 115.9
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 44.7 mg
- Sodium 36.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 17.0 g