1/3 Photos of Egyptian Style Baked Fish (Saneya Semaak)
1 hr 20 mins
cooking in cairo...'s Note:
This was first prepared by my friends husband, it was so good, I had to know how he did it. I made as below, changed his recipe alittle bit but is so so yummy. The orange does not make it sweet at all, rather gives it a smooth beautiful taste. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fish fillet (thick cut, preferably boneless- mild flavor)
- 4 stalks celery (use only the leaves)
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 large onion (sliced thin and in half)
- 2 large tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 3 fresh garlic cloves (chopped finely or crushed)
- 1 large lemon
- 1 large orange
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt & pepper
- 3 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (use 1 large stick of butter, not half stick)
- 1Spray a glass baking dish with a bit of non-stick cooking spray, or rub lightly with Olive Oil.
- 2Wash the fish well.
- 3Slice the fish into medium size slices. Not too thick or thin, up to you.
- 4Lay the fish slices in baking dish.
- 5Sprinkle generously with cumin, salt, pepper, old bay spice and add a bit of garlic, keep the rest for top later. Squeeze the juice of lemon over this.
- 6Take remaining garlic, jalapeno, celery leaves and cilantro, add a half teaspoon of cumin and pound into a paste (using a mortar pestle or even a quick spin in food processor), does not have to be totally paste, but put together and blend well, spread this over fish. (You can squeeze lemon juice into this to make easier to blend).
- 7Add all chopped vegetables, peppers, onions.
- 8Squeeze the juice of orange into baking dish, top with pats of butter. You may add a bit more seasoning to top if you like.
- 9Cover with foil and bake in oven at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes.
- 10Towards end of baking, you may uncover if you want to lessen juices or to brown, but just as good with juices, great over brown fish rice with onion. (see my recipes).
- 11***LEFTOVER TIP*** If you make this dish and you have leftovers, the next day slice an onion, sauté it in butter, chop a small tomato, add to the onion and cook until a bit smooth, add leftover fish dish, and a few pats of butter…this way is even better than when made fresh the first time, it was for me anyway… ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Egyptian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egyptian Style Baked Fish (Saneya Semaak)
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.3
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 82.2 mg
- Sodium 91.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 19.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning