Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
You could use any veggies you like for this recipe. Instead of rice you can stuff it with cooked mince. Serve as a side dish. Prep and cooking time I am guessing. There would be some rice mixture left over, I normally add it in between the veggies and bake it.
- 1 kg zucchini (like zucchini, green peppers or capsicums, eggplant, potatoes and tomatoes) or 1 kg mixed vegetables (like zucchini, green peppers or capsicums, eggplant, potatoes and tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley
- 2 medium onions
- 1 big hard tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin, crushed lightly
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups egyptian rice or 1 1⁄4 cups any short-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 8 pieces gum arabic (mastikah)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, dissolved
- Top and core insides of veggies.
- Wash rice and drain. Chop herbs very small; wash in a sieve and allow to drain.
- Chop tomato.
- Mix rice, herbs and tomato.
- Add spices to rice mixture.
- Fill veggies with the rice mixture 3/4 full (allow space for rice to expand).
- Heat chicken broth cube, ghee and mastikah until mastikah melts.
- Layer veggies in a flat pot or baking tin.
- Add chicken broth mixture to veggies and allow to come to the boil on the stove top.
- Bake covered at 180°C until veggies are tender. (we like our veggies very soft, I bake it for 1 hr 15 mins).