1/2 Photos of Egyptian Spinach Soup
Chef Kate's Note:
This recipe is from chef Nora Pouillon, owner of Nora's in Washington, DC, a "certified" organic restaurant and a quite wonderful place to dine. Vegetable stock may be substituted for the chicken broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion until soft.
- 2Add the turmeric and cook a further minute to let the spice warm through.
- 3Add the stock, scallions, rice, salt and pepper.
- 4Simmer gently for approximately 15 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- 5Do not overcook.
- 6Cut the spinach into chiffonade, add to pan and cook for another five minutes.
- 7To serve hot: Beat yogurt and garlic into the soup, and reheat gently so the yogurt does not curdle.
- 8To serve cold: Allow soup to cool, add yogurt and garlic and puree.
- 9NOTE: 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Madras curry powder can be substituted for the turmeric, depending on how fragrant you want your soup to be.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egyptian Spinach Soup
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.2
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 329.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 10.2 g