Recipe by Daniele1969
The name of this dish is Egyptian Salad, but I've seen this in Moroccan Restaurants, Ethiopian Restaurants, Israeli Restaurants...It's name should be more like North African Salad.
Top Review by Clean Plate Club
What a nice side dish and a great way to use some of the ripe tomatoes in my garden. I took chef 502866's advice and roasted the peppers before adding into tomato-onion mixture. Served this with chicken & sausage kabobs, mushroom risotto and crusty bread. What a feast!
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 4 medium onions, sliced into cresents
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 6 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut all the peppers in half length wise and de-seed them.
- Cut all the peppers, length-wise, into 1/2 inch slices.
- In a large covered pot, saute onions in oil until translucent, then add the peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato juice, cover and cook on med heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper; cover and cook another 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar, cover and cook another 10-15 minutes.
- serve hot, cold or at room tempreture.
- Excellent side dish with almost anything.