Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The website which I got this from says this is a popular winter beverage in Egypt. Usually it's made from the starchy bulbs of a plant called orchis mascula. For those who don't get original sahlep powder, this is a recipe with cornstarch as a substitute. Feel free to use the original thing, though :)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 cups milk
- 3 teaspoons sugar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons rose water, or
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 2 teaspoons pistachios, finely chopped
- 4 dashes cinnamon
- Mix cornstarch with two tablespoons of the milk until smooth.
- Bring remaining milk to a boil, stir in the dissolved starch, whisking with a whisk so that the liquid gets smooth.
- Simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until milk thickens.
- Stir in sugar.
- Add rose water or orange blossom water.
- Serve hot in cups or mugs, garnish with chopped pistacchios and cinnamon.
Mia, this was delicious and a cinch to prepare! I brought the milk *almost* to the boil then added arrowroot powder in place of cornstarch and the rosewater option. Delightful beverage and the perfect ending to our dinner; the start of our weekend! Made for the FYC tag game. Some day I'll find sahlab when and where I least expect it! ;)
I made this lovely beverage for this mornings breakfast and it was delicious. I made it just by the recipe and loved the pistachios beyond reason. What a great find, very tasty, simple and a lovely way to start the day. Made for Beverage Anyone? tag game.
This is a delicious hot beverage with exotic touch. I confess diluted the milk with water (1+1) and added little more cornstarch as I wanted it lighter. After the ingredients were dissolved and the beverage had thickened I wished until I got little fooam. For the pistachios: I peeled the pistacios and to remove the thin skin I rolled them with my hand on a working surface, most of the skin peeled off! This makes the chopped pischios nicer, greener and more enjoyable. I used rose water for personal preference. Thanks a lot for this delish!