Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
In Arabic, this is called roz bil sha'areyyah. Tasty and rich, would be great with a simple lamb or chicken dish. This is my adaptation of a Claudia Roden recipe.
- Break the vermicelli into 1-inch pieces (or use an Arab or Indian brand that is already broken up).
- In a wide non-stick skillet, saute onion in oil till translucent, and remove from pan.
- Saute vermicelli pieces in leftover oil till golden (this happens mroe quickly than you expect it to).
- Add onions back to pan and add rice; stir to combine.
- Pour in boiling stock, stir.
- Cook over very low heat for about 20 minutes.
- This time will vary depending on the age and type of rice you use.
- If desired, stir in a pat of butter before serving.
This is a terrific recipe. I added about another cup of chicken stock and three tablespoons of butter for softness and flavor. My boyfriend who is Egyptian could not get enough of it. Thanks for the recipe!!!!!