Recipe by Nasseh
This Egyptian recipe combines cooked rice with a spicy tomato sauce.
Top Review by Jamilahs_Kitchen
I don't know any egyptians that cook with Harissa but I LOVE it lol. Very nice fast rice with lots of flavor. I cooked mine with sagouk and peppers and used can diced tomates because I didn't have tomato sauce on hand. DH was very happy.Thanks for a nice dish. Made for Ramadan Tag 09.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml long-grain rice
- 473.18 ml chicken stock
- 236.59 ml water
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 473.18 ml tomato sauce
- 4.92-9.85 ml harissa or 4.92-9.85 ml hot pepper paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the oil & saute the onion but do not let it brown. Add the rice to the pan & cook for 2 minutes or until the rice becomes translucent.
- Place the rice, water, chicken stock, & spices in an ovenproof casserole dish. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Heat the tomato sauce & harissa in a pan, add salt & pepper if needed. Serve the rice mixed with the spicy tomato sauce.