Recipe by wjorma
Daughter Claudia & I enjoy this simple dish along with a salad. We don't use green peppers but you can if you wish.
Top Review by VegSocialWorker
We ended up liking this in the end, but I was not crazy with how the rice and lentils turned out cooked together. Next time I would probably cook them seperately and then mix together. It was sticky and the rice was not fully cooked. But, we loved the sauce and the onions, which is what really make the recipe. I would make again with the changes listed above. Thanks for posting!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups lentils
- 3 cups boiling water or 3 cups stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 1 cup boiling water or 1 cup stock
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery leaves
- 3⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 sliced onions
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat in heavy sauce pan or covered skillet. 2 tablespoon oil, add 1 1/4 cup lentils, brown lentils over medium heat 5 minutes stirring often. Add 3 cups boiling water or stock, 1 teaspoon salt and dash pepper. Cook uncovered 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cup rice and 1 cup boiling water or stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 25 minutes without stirring.
- In a sauce pan, heat together the sauce ingredients. Bring sauce to boiling, reduce heat, simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
- Browned onions: Heat in small skillet, 2 tablespoon oil. Saute 3 sliced onions and 4 minced garlic cloves over medium heat until brown.
- Put rice lentil mixture on a platter. Pour sauce over top with browned onions. In Egypt, plain yogurt is served as a side dish.