Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
When my daughter was younger we used to do a little thing called dinner around the world. I found this recipe online while we were researching Egypt (hence the name). We've been making this now for a few years and everytime we make it for a gathering I end up having to pass out the recipe. Kids really love this dish too.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion (optional)
- 5 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup rice
- In a large skillet or saucepan, brown ground beef and onions.
- Drain grease and add mushrooms, consommé, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and rice.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-high. Cook about 20-30 minutes until rice is done and all of the liquid is gone.
we didn't care for it and it most certainly is not egyptian by any stretch of the imagination.
My family really liked this dish, the only thing was that next time I would use instant rice as it took the rice twice as long to cook and we had to add more water. It turned out a little mushy but flavorful.
This was a pretty decent recipe to make. Nice and fast, and my family liked it. :) I wanted to serve it as a main dish, so I added about 1-1 1/2 C of frozen veggies (instead of the mushrooms, since we're not big mushroom fans). All in all it went over fairly well.