Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a borrowed, modified recipe for a really good red lentil soup. DH ate it during his full liquid diet phase after Bariatric surgery on May 2nd. Rich and creamy without any dairy products.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large potato
- 15 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes, diced, well drained
- Soak red lentils in cool water for 1/2 hour, then drain well.
- Heat olive oil in the bottom of a large stockpot.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Saute for 2 minutes until onions are transparent.
- Add bay leaf, turmeric and cumin.
- Add well drained tomatoes.
- Add carrots and celery and cook 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add soaked lentils and 4 cups broth.
- Add cayenne pepper and crushed red peppers and salt to taste to pot.
- Bring the contents of pot to boil over medium heat.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Remove bay leaf and puree the soup until smooth(I use an immersion blender).
- Return the soup to pot and taste to adjust seasoning.
- Add lime juice and stir the soup.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
- Great with pita bread and a green salad.