Recipe by the80srule
This soup is considered to be a tradition for breaking the Ramadan fast in Egypt and is a traditional "Middle Eastern peace recipe". I got this from a Middle Eastern living blog and decided to share it since I was looking for red lentil recipes. Red lentils can be found in Indian and Middle Eastern grocery stores. This awesome soup is vegan and quite healthy.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup red lentil
- 3 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 dash cayenne
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- olive oil, to drizzle
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, put the onion, lentils, veggie stock, the salt and pepper, and simmer about 30 minutes or until the lentils have really softened and somewhat disintegrated.
- Add some water if the soup needs thinning.
- Stir in cumin, turmeric, cilantro, cayenne, and lemon juice.
- Drizzle some olive oil on to your liking and serve with toasted pita triangles.