Recipe by Paragon
Egyptian Pumpkin Pie. This is a very famous dessert in Egypt. The whole effort made in making this recipe is in preparing and boiling the pumpkin. Once you have that done, everything is unbelievably easy.
- 8 cups fresh pumpkin
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel crust from pumpkin. Cut pumpkin into large cubed pieces. Place the pumpkin pieces in a large deep pot. Then Add sugar and couple tablespoons of water and heat over low heat until tender.
- Remove pumpkin pieces from pot and reserve sugar and liquid left in the pot. Mash pumpkin well and spread into a baking dish.( you can use a samll pyrax dish, like a lasagna tray) Sprinkle raisins and nuts on top.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir until smooth. Add milk whisking frequently to avoid any clumps.
- Add reserved sugar liquid from boiling the pumpkin and bring to boil (you may want to add some sugar here if you find cream sauce not as sweet as you like).Pour sweet béchamel sauce over mashed pumpkin.
- Heat oven to 200°C Bake dish for 30-40 minutes until surface becomes golden.
- Serve hot.