Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found Egyptian pasta at a health food store and didn't know what to do with it. I found a recipe for Egyptian rice and added sour cream and garlic and what do you know? Stroganoff! Tastes good. It would probably work with any type of rice or risotto.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups beef consomme
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup dry egyptian pasta
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (to taste)
- garlic salt
- ground pepper
- In a medium pot brown ground chuck and onion. Add minced garlic when almost done. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients (except sour cream). Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer until rice/pasta is done. 15 minutes? Depends on what kind of rice/pasta you're using. Look at package instructions.
- When done stir in sour cream.
We liked this dish. I used very lean turkey and nonfat sour cream, which we are used to, and like a lot. I also used fresh mushrooms, about double, but I would have liked even more. Adding cayenne pepper and more spices would probably be a good idea too.
Definately agree with previous reviewer reduce consomme to 3 cups (though if using rice 4 cups may be required as I think it would absorb it better than pasta - I used bow tie). I also used fresh mushrooms which would have also added to the liquid content but it was certainly tasty and very easy to make - a great midweek meal. Served with a tossed salad on the side. Made for the 123 Hit Wonders 2007 tag game. Thank you Engrossed.
Very, very flavorful, and very quick and easy to make. I used egg noodles. I think I would reduce the amount of consomme to 3 cups, because the sauce was a bit watery (even with full-fat sour cream mixed in). Thanx for posting this. I will make this again (with less consomme).