Recipe by Heba Maher
It is the most famous recipe in Egypt--very delicious. You can eat it with white rice or bread.
Top Review by Maya's Mama
i love this dish, traditionaly in egypt we eat it with greek style yougart and a squeez of lemon with each serving. try it with a bashamel sause and breadcrumbs on top,cook until the bread crumbs are browned.
- 1 kg eggplant, peeled and cut into rings
- 250 g minced meat
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- oil (for frying)
- sultana (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the eggplant rings till it has a reddish brown color.
- Strain it very well by a strainer or by putting the fried eggplants on kitchen handkerchiefs.
- In a sauce pan put butter or margarine till it melts, add onions and stir till it has a reddish color then add meat.
- Stir from time to time till meat is cooked.
- Add tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper, few sultanas and water.
- Boil for 2 minutes till it is a thick sauce.
- In a tin pan put 1 layer of eggplant and a small layer of sauce, then another layer of eggplant and put all the remaining sauce on top and then straighten the surface (eggplants should be only 2 layers).
- Put it in oven at 180 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Serve it with white rice or bread.