I got this from a mailing list I was on a number of years ago. It's easy and tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a nonstick skillet, using a teaspoon of butter or oil, sweat the onions, pepper and garlic until soft.
- 3Add the ground meat and cook until no longer pink, then add the spices and mix well. Remove from heat and drain off excess fat.
- 4Prepare a rectangular baking dish (of a size similar to that of the phyllo sheets - I used 9" x 13") by lightly brushing the bottom and sides of the dish with the melted butter or oil.
- 5Layer the phyllo dough in the pan, brushing each two or three sheets with melted butter or oil.
- 6When 1/2 of the phyllo dough has been layered in the pan, spread the meat filling in and continue covering with the remaining phyllo dough, making sure to brush the last layer with a bit of extra butter or oil to ensure a nice golden color.
- 7Before baking uncovered in the oven, cut through the "pie" with a sharp knife into squares or diamonds.
- 8Bake until golden. May be eaten either hot or cold, with a large green salad.
- 9This dish may be made vegetarian by substituting a spinach/feta cheese mixture for the meat filling according to the original recipe, but I've always used the meat. I've also added feta cheese in with the meat mixture, and it makes a nice addition.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egyptian Meat Pie
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.6
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 261.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: