Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the February 1995 issue of Gourmet magazine.
Make and share this Egyptian Lamb Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fresh coriander leaves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup beef broth
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 8 sheets phyllo dough, halved crosswise and stacked between sheets of waxed paper, and covered with a dampened paper towel
- In a small saucepan combine the apricots with 1 1/2 cups water and them over moderate heat for 10 minutes. Drain the apricots and quarter them.
- In a skillet cook the onion in the olive oil over moderately low heat, stirring, for 8 minutes, or until they are softened. Add the garlic and cook the mixture for 2 minutes. Add the lamb and cook the mixture over a moderately high heat, stirring for 5 minutes, or until the lamb is no longer pink. Add the cumin, the coriander, nutmeg, cloves, beef stock, and the apricots and simmer the mixture, stirring stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Add pepper to taste and let the mixture cool for 15 minutes.
- Brush a 10 inch cast iron skillet with some of the butter, put 1 piece of phyllo in the skillet, and brush it with butter. Layer 7 more pieces of the phyllo in the skillet,, brushing them with butter in the same manner, spoon the filling with a slotted spoon into the skillet and smooth the top. Layer the remaining 8 pieces of phyllo buttering them, over the top of the filling and tuck the edges under. Score the top layer of phyllo into 6 wedges and bake the pie in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 30 minutes, or until it is golden.
- Let the pie cook for 15 minutes and cut into wedges.