Recipe by Scots Lass/Cairo
This recipe is extremely simple to prepare. However, in order to achieve a perfect result, I recommend that you marinate the chicken for 24 hours. It really does make a difference to the flavour. This chicken dish is lovely served with rice and a spinach yoghurt salad.Borani Esfenaj.
Top Review by TX2CA2MO
I made this for my boyfriend who is from Egypt and he really loved it. He told me that it was very authentic and tasty. I could only marinate for 8 hours and I baked them at 375 for 40 minutes, it was GREAT, thanks for the recipe!!!
- 500 g chicken breast fillets
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the chicken fillets well and dry with kitchen towel.
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together.
- Place chicken in a glass dish, pour over marinade & ensure each piece is coated in the marinade.
- Cover glass dish with cling film & leave to marinate for as long as possible in refrigerator.
- It is best to begin preparation for this dish the day before in order to obtain the best result.
- Next day: Remove dish from refrigerator.
- Allow it to sit for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Pre-heat grill and place fillets on the grill pan, brushing with remainder of marinade.
- Cook for approximately 25 minutes, brushing with marinade, turning once during cooking.
- Chicken should be moist and golden, but not tough and overcooked.
- If chicken browns too soon reduce grill heat to moderate.