Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from my dear MIL - a woman who can make the simple great. I like to serve them with baked chicken and white rice.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed & rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- In 3 qt saucepan, saute onion in olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes, over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic, stir & cook 30 seconds.
- Add green beans, turn heat to high and stir quickly for about 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce and enough water to almost cover beans.
- Add parsley, cumin, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover pot and simmer on medium heat for about 25 minutes.
- If it seems too watery, cook uncovered for 10 minutes. There should be about 1/3 to 1/2 the amount of liquid you started with.
Have to be honest this did not work for me. I thought it would be more flavorful but it's not. Made as directed. It is easy to make. Made for ZWT6 Voracious Vagabonds.
Have made green beans with tomato sauce before, but not with the addition of the cumin or sugar. Very flavorful and easy to make. Made for ZWT6 for the No-Nonsense Nibblers.