1 hr 5 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
From Colette Rossant's charming memoir of growing up in Egypt and France, "Apricots on the Nile." She writes that the soft portion of this rice is served in one dish and the crispy bottom pieces in another. Both parts are delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse the rice under running water thoroughly and set aside in a colander to drain.
- 2Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. When the oil is hot, add the rice and fry it until each grain is coated with oil.
- 3Add the water and salt to taste and stir.
- 4Cook, uncovered, over moderate heat until the water is absorbed.
- 5Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 30 minutes more.
- 6Spoon the top layer of rice into a bowl.
- 7Remove the browned layer with a spatula, break into pieces and serve alongside the rice.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egyptian Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 295.7
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g