Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is usually sold from a street cart, you can smell this cooking from a few blocks away, however due to the lack of hygene I prefer to cook my own at home.This is not a commercialy made product and has been reproduced to my taste, you can adjust quantities to your own taste!
- 1⁄2 kg thinly sliced beef liver
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 pinch salt
Egyptian condiment recipe 107277
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- some cold water
- Egyptian Condiment recipe: Put all 6 ingredients in liquidiser then into a 1/2 litre bottle,add cold water till full, shake and keep refrigerated.
- In a small frying pan put approx ½ cup of oil, when hot add the thin cut liver,salt and mix while cooking.
- (don't overcook).
- After several minutes add some Egyptian condiment according to taste.
- Spoon into fresh pitta bread and squeeze some lemon juice……Enjoy!
I love liver and I love this recipe - look at the calories and fat all low and very tasty. I cut the recipe in half with no problem. I sliced the liver while still frozen to almost stir fry size. It cooked in about 5 minutes poured on the great sauce and cooked another 4 minutes I would love this in a pita bread but but had none so I served it as the main meat dish with roasted sweet potatoes, steamed green beans & spaetzel . It was wonderful Thanks Egyptian John for intoducing me to this excellent sauce & recipe — posted Jan 12, 2005
This is my new favorite way to eat liver! I modified it a little because I don't have a blender and just used minced garlic, diced chilis and the liquids as I was cooking. Works pretty well. I also threw in some seared onions. I like it over brown rice. :-)
While I've never had any liver here that tastes quite like this (I live in Egypt), it is GOOD!
I'll definitely be cooking this again.
Thanks for the recipe Egy John.