These are like Spanish croquettas. The spice mix used is quite delicate. Serve with a side dish that is crisp or that is spicy.
- Poach fish in salted water for 10 minutes. Remove when cooked.
- Boil peeled and quartered potatoes in the same water for 15 minutes. Remove and mash them.
- While the fish is cooling, boil the potatoes. When the fish is cool enough to handle, tear the fish into pieces, feeling for any remaining bones (remove them).
- Drain the potatoes when they are done, and lightly mash them with a fork in a bowl. Add the chopped coriander and parsley, crushed garlic and finely chopped onions while the potatoes are still warm. Add the salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cumin.
- Add the fish. Blend it well, but don't thoroughly mash the fish. Adjust the flavor to your liking.
- Heat the oil for frying.
- Make walnut-sized balls of this fish mixture in the palm of your hand. Dip the pieces in the beaten egg. Next, dip the pieces in coarse bread crumbs.
- Fry 4 - 5 pieces at a time in hot oil until brown on both sides. Remove to drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve with squeezed lemon.