Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Eggplant dish that can be served either as a side dish, or as as I prefer, a main dish over rice. We sometimes add a little browned ground beef to the mixture (about 1/2 pound) for a little variation. More traditionally it is made with a hot pepper rather than a green one, but my family prefers the green pepper. Spice it up as much as you want!
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon good mustard
- oil, for frying
- Fry the eggplant slices in oil until golden, set aside on paper towels to drain, and lightly salt.
- Fry potatoes until golden and set aside on paper towels to drain. Lightly salt.
- Fry pepper slices in oil until tender, set aside.
- In a pan, saute the onion until soft. Add Garlic, and saute a 1-2 min more.
- Add the spices and mustard (except salt, unless you want more- I usually think the salted veggies are salty enough. Just taste and see).
- Add in the veggies and tomato sauce and mix well.
- Cook just long enough to heat through.
- Sprinkle with chickpeas.
This dish was so delicious! My DH especially liked it which means we will be having it again! To save a little time I added the green pepper to the potatoes once they were about half cooked. Did everything else as stated. Did I mention that we LOVED this!!! Thanks! Made for ZWT6 - LOONEY SPOON PHOODIES.
We had this tonight, over rice as suggested. It was absolutely delicious. I forgot and mixed the chickpeas in with the other ingredients, instead of sprinkling them on top, but maybe it was even better that way. Next time I will try it with red bell pepper, since I like it better. This is a dish that I will make again and again, as we love everything in it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT6.