Recipe by UmmIbrahim
Eggplant dish that can be served either as a side dish, or as as I prefer, a main dish over rice. We sometimes add a little browned ground beef to the mixture (about 1/2 pound) for a little variation. More traditionally it is made with a hot pepper rather than a green one, but my family prefers the green pepper. Spice it up as much as you want!
Top Review by Enjolinfam
This dish was so delicious! My DH especially liked it which means we will be having it again! To save a little time I added the green pepper to the potatoes once they were about half cooked. Did everything else as stated. Did I mention that we LOVED this!!! Thanks! Made for ZWT6 - LOONEY SPOON PHOODIES.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon good mustard
- oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the eggplant slices in oil until golden, set aside on paper towels to drain, and lightly salt.
- Fry potatoes until golden and set aside on paper towels to drain. Lightly salt.
- Fry pepper slices in oil until tender, set aside.
- In a pan, saute the onion until soft. Add Garlic, and saute a 1-2 min more.
- Add the spices and mustard (except salt, unless you want more- I usually think the salted veggies are salty enough. Just taste and see).
- Add in the veggies and tomato sauce and mix well.
- Cook just long enough to heat through.
- Sprinkle with chickpeas.