Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Chocolate, coffee and cinnamon.....what a combo!! I have not had the pleasure of making this one yet, so times are an estimate.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup brewed coffee, strong
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
CINNAMON WHIPPED CREAM
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and line the bottom of two 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves; set aside.
- Combine chocolate and coffee in a small saucepan; cook over low heat until chocolate is melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- With an electric mixer set on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla and the chocolate mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk, beating well after each addition. Begin and end with flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 min or until cakes test done.
- Cool in pans on racks for 10 min, then remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
- To make the cinnamon whipped cream: Chill a large mixing bowl and beaters.
- Combine the cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in the chilled bowl.
- Beat with the chilled beaters on high until soft peaks form and the mixture is thick enough to spread. Do not overbeat or you will have butter instead of whipped cream.
- Assemble the cake by placing one layer of the cake on a serving plate or cake stand. Spread some of the cinnamon whipped cream and top with the second cake layer. Frost the sides and top with the remaining cinnamon whipped cream.
- Refrigerate until served.