Found this recipe on Grassroots Recipes Mastercook Collections by Deirdre Dee Cox. It states that the original recipe came from a GI who found it in Egypt when he was stationed there. The whipped cream frosting was added later but really adds to the recipe. Posted for ZWT6.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 414.03 ml unbleached flour, sifted
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon, ground
- 0.59 ml clove, ground
- 113.39 g semisweet chocolate
- 118.29 ml brewed strong coffee
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml regular margarine
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml milk
CINNAMON WHIPPED CREAM
- 1Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves together; set aside.
- 2Combine chocolate and coffee in small saucepan.
- 3Cook over low heat until the chocolate is melted, stirring constantly.
- 4Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- 5Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl, until they are light and fluffy.
- 6Use an electric mixer set on medium speed.
- 7Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 8Beat in vanilla and chocolate mixture.
- 9Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 10Pour batter into 2 greased and waxed paper-lined 8-inch cake pans.
- 11Bake in a preheated 350 ºF oven for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- 12Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes.
- 13Remove from pans, cool completely on racks.
- 14Chill large mixing bowl and beaters.
- 15Combine cream, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon and beat with an electric mixer set at high speed until soft peaks form and mixture is thick enough to spread.
- 16DO NOT overbeat or you will have butter instead of whipped cream.
- 17To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on serving plate.
- 18Spread with Cinnamon Whipped Cream.
- 19Top with second cake layer.
- 20Frost sides and top with remaining Cinnamon Whipped Cream.
- 21Refrigerate until serving time.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egyptian Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.0
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 111.3 mg
- Sodium 149.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 5.4 g