An easy and filling dish. The overall aroma is sweet from the allspice but each bite is a perfect blend of flavors. The original recipe was found on recipes4us.co.uk but I've altered it to suit my tastes. I have also made this soup using leftover, unseasoned rice and sometimes subbing chicken broth for some or all of the water. Thanks to Kumsie, I've deleted an unnecessary step from the directions to help clarify the use of the coriander (cilantro). :)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped & divided in half (cilantro)
- 14 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans)
- 12 ounces tomato juice
- 16 ounces water
- 2 ounces long grain rice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic and onions, then sauté gently until golden brown.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of the coriander (cilantro) and the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, while stirring.
- Reduce heat to medium/low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Garnish each bowl with the reserved cilantro.
yummy this was super easy to throw together for a late dinner. I had leftover spicy rice and tossed that in and topped with some yogurt. Thanks Tink. Made for ZWT 6 for Looney Spoon Phoodies.
Tinkerbell,I made this today,I used a tin of chickpeas,and adjusted the balance as the tin was 19 0z. These were drained first,sorry I had to use dry cilantro as no fresh available.The result was very enjoyable.Will add this to my soup file and will do again..Don
This soup certainly ticked a lot of boxes for us-delicious, fast, filling, healthy, simple and made with ingredients we almost always have on hand. I made it using chicken broth raher than water and 1 teaspoon of cumin as I love the stuff. I love tomato juice, but often waste the last of the container as I get a bit tired of it. Not now, I'll just make this soup to finish it off!