Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Charoset is used at the Passover seder. This recipe originally is found in the "Passover Cookery" cookbook. Cooking time is an estimate.
- 8 ounces pitted dates, chopped
- 8 ounces golden raisins
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red passover wine
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- Over low heat, simmer dates, raisins, wine and enough water to cover.
- Stir occasionally until dates are mushy and thicken into a paste.
- Spoon into a bowl.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
This is fabulous. I have just made it, it was very easy and I have had an early taste of it. i just hope the family aren't disappointed that I have not made the usual Charoset. I am looking forward to having it in marzah for breakfast. I think I may add a bit of lemon juice as it is very sweet for me.